Privacy and Your Assessment
A Guide to the Collection, Use and Sharing of Your Personal Health Information
Your Personal Health Information
Your Personal Health Information (HPI) is important in allowing us to provide you with better services. Oftentimes, that information is used when performing assessments to determine your health service and support needs.
Your assessment may include details on:
- Your physical and mental health
- Your personal health history
Unless you tell us not to, we share your assessment information with other health service providers who will provide you with support now and in the future.
Sharing Your PHI
We use a secure electronic system to share your health information with other health service providers. This allows them to view the information they need to provide you with the services you need.
If you have agreed to share your PHI, the Information in your assessment will be used to:
- Provide health support and services based on your needs
- Make sure your providers have the most up-to-date and complete record of your health history and needs
- Help us see where there might be gaps or overlaps so we can provide services where they are most needed
- Make sure everyone is getting the right support and services
Privacy and Security of Your Information
The personal health information collected in your assessment belongs to you. The privacy and protection of your PHI is a priority. In the assessment process, we only collect the health information we need in order to determine your service and support needs. This information cannot be used for any other purposes without your permission.
- Your health information is kept in a secure place
- Your health information will only be viewed by authorized people who deliver your services
- All health services providers have signed contracts to keep your information confidential
- When a person views your information, it is recorded in a log. This log is reviewed regularly to make sure there has been no unauthorized access to your information
- Information is stored and/or disposed of according to law
- We will investigate any suspected breach or unauthorized access to your personal health information
Your Privacy Choices
Please speak to your usual care provider or our Privacy Officer, if you want to:
- See your own assessment: You can request a copy of your assessment at any time.
- Correct your own assessments: You can ask to have information in your assessment corrected or updated.
- Opt-Out: You may choose not to share your information with other health service providers.
If you would like to know more about how your personal health information is handled and shared with our partner organizations, feel free to ask our Privacy Officer. They will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.
The Privacy Commissioner
If you have any issues or concerns about how your health information is being handled, you have the right to contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario at:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8
Telephone: 416-326-3333 or 1-800-387-0073